Old 08-06-2005, 02:56 AM
Compostman

"Anthony Ward" wrote in message
The canteen at my workplace is trying to improve its recycling
statistics and so is bagging up the used coffee grounds from the
machine and offering this to customers for their garden compost bins.
A colleague has said this is not a good idea because the grounds are
too acidic. I would appreciate knowing the thoughts of experienced
gardeners on this please. I am not particularly wanting to grow
acid-loving plants.
I have also heard that one should not add citrus peel to the compost
bin for the same reason. Does the group agree?

A number of years ago, I too had the opportunity to get coffee grounds and
orange pulp for my compost, and I also was told that both were too acid.
Well, people just think that, but they're wrong. Coffee grounds are nearly
neutral in pH. I don't know about orange pulp, but I can say that it really
made good compost. Lots of nitrogen in it. Make sure you turn the compost
pile often and it should get very hot.
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7