Old 07-06-2005, 10:57 PM
Phil L

Mike Lyle wrote:
:: Phil L wrote:
::: Sacha wrote:
::::: In the very faint hope that we actually get some sun before the
::::: Longest Day is upon us and it's all downhill towards Christmas,
::::: I'm passing on a delicious recipe a friend gave me last year:
:::::
::::: 90 heads of Elder flower, picked at mid-day
:::::
::::: 6 sliced lemons
:::::
::::: 9lbs. Preserving sugar (Caster will do but Preserving is better)
:::::
::::: 7.5 oz. Citric or Tartaric acid
:::::
::::: Put all the ingredients into a large bowl or clean plastic
::::: bucket. Add 7.5 pints boiling water.
:::::
::::: Stir night and day for 5 days. Strain, squeezing the lemons.
::::: Put into plastic bottles and deep freeze. Take out only when
::::: wanted, and refrigerate as it wonıt keep out of the freezer for
::::: more than 5 to 7 days.
:::::
::::: Dilute with water to taste.
:::::
::::: This makes a very refreshing drink in hot weater.
:::::
::::: Undiluted, itıs also good on gooseberries or over fruit salad.
:::
::: If you add a spoonfull of yeast it will also make a decent wine!
::: (if you take away 7lbs of the sugar!)
::
:: Are you KIDDING? 90, read "ninety", like dude you mean, XC, figures
:: nine-uh zero I say again nine-uh zero, naw deg, neunzig,
:: quatre-vingts-dix, novanta, heads of elderflowers for two gallons
:: of wine? That will smell like three years' worth of cat pee soaked
:: into the carpet. About a pint of stripped elderflowers will
:: flavour and aromatise a gallon of strong sweet white wine for
:: dessert use enough to blow your socks off; I'd use max two heads
:: for a gallon of ordinary grape, whitecurrant, or gooseberry wine,
:: and I wouldn't leave them in very long, either. You don't apply
:: the flowers till _after_ the primary fermentation, whose bubbling
:: would blow away most of the aroma: pop them in there in a nylon
:: stocking with a handful of sterilized marbles (I know mine are.)
::
:: And modern preserving sugar is, indeed, inadvisable: the stuff
:: contains not so much citric acid as, if me soaked old grey cells do
:: not deceive me, pectin -- a sore destroyer of your wine's clarity,
:: and general irrelevancy to the domestic booze process. Use plain
:: old granulated cheapest: it's pure unwholesome C6H22O11 or
:: something. Check out my surname: we know this kind of shit in our
:: family..
::
:: --
:: Mike.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.