Old 07-06-2005, 11:51 PM
Stephen Howard

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 23:30:55 +0100, "Neil Tonks"
wrote:

"anon" wrote in message
I bought some "organic" growbags from a well known DIY chain (I won't name
it, but the sort of place you might buy a BarbeQue). I didn't specifically
want organic, but it was all they had and it was the same price as the
normal bags.

It seems similar to the wood chippings you can buy as a mulch, except that
the growbag is ground a bit finer, and has been rotted down a little bit.

The problem is, like the wood chips, the growbags have a very strong,
characteristic smell, which seems to me like creosote or similar. Now that
may be all well and good for a flower bed mulch, but I don't really fancy
growing tomatoes in it and eating them!

Has anyone else used these grow bags, what do you think? You cannot miss
the
smell, am I mistaken in thinking it is wood preservative?

The growbag claims to have no chemical additives, but what does that mean?
If the raw material is creosote treated wood chips, maybe they can get
away
with saying they haven't added any chemicals.

I used these last year. They worked OK but having made holes near the base
of the bags (as instructed) I found that water tended to drain straight
through. Consequently they needed watering more often than peat bags. .

I forgot to make the holes!
I did wonder whether they'd retain water - but when I checked them the
other day they seemed fine after their initial soaking a week ago.
Mind you, hasn't exactly been that warm until today...

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk