Old 08-06-2005, 03:38 AM
Mark Anderson

Default Tomato blooming question

I skipped growing tomatoes last year so I've forgotten a few things.
This year I have six tomatoes going in containers, 2 Whoppers, 2 el
cheapo Wal Mart specials, a cherry, and some fancy organic one I picked
up at an upscale nursery. I've planted these a couple of weeks ago and
they're starting to get big. The Whopper tomatoes and the Walmart
tomatoes are starting to bloom flowers. I can't remember whether or not
I should pick the early bloom to encourage more vegetative growth. I
don't recall ever seeing blooms this early and these plants certainly
have a long way to go before they get full size. I haven't even built
cages for them yet (my project for next week). So should I pick them or
will I get a bigger crop if I just let them turn into tomatoes?