Old 08-06-2005, 06:43 AM
Alan Gould

In article , anon
writes

I am not sure whether organic actually means anything when applied to
growbags (I know what it ought to mean, but does it?).

The use of the expression 'organic' as applied to horticulture is
complex and much misunderstood. It came into use about 50-60 years ago
when horticulture and agriculture were rapidly changing from what had
been 'traditional' methods to more modern methods which rely heavily on
the use of chemicals. 'Organic' was and still is meant to indicate the
use of living organisms as distinct from using inert chemicals. It
applies to grow bags as much as any other product.

What I am not sure about is whether any authority looks at an idea like this
to consider whether it is safe to grow vegetables in.

Yes, very much so. Organic standards are developed in the EU as part of
their Food and Agriculture policies. Participating countries such as UK
are responsible to see that those standards are adhered to. No produce
can be sold in UK as organic unless it has an accredited certification.

Commercial growers and producers are bound by law to keep to organic
regulations. That is monitored in UK mainly by the Soil Association at
Bristol, who are authorised to issue and monitor certifications.
Recreational gardeners are not legally bound by organic regulations, but
for those who wish to maintain the recognised standards of organic
gardening, HDRA give guidance and advice, based on EU regulations where
they are applicable.

Further details about organic gardening can be seen in the urg FAQ at:
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFA...gardening.html
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.