Old 19-10-2002, 10:58 PM
Chris

Default Artichokes - What's in a name

In article , Alan Gould
writes
In article ], Chris ]
writes

Now to the subject ... why are two apparently completely different
plants given the same name?
What on earth is there in common between Globe Artichokes and Jerusalem
Artichokes?

Following Dave's excellent description of Jerusalem artichokes;
Globe artichokes - Cynara scolymus, are 'real' artichokes. They are in
fact a cultivated variety of the common thistle.

Thanks - but - I know what they both are.
And they are both equally real - in that I have direct sensory
experience of both - surely the best epistemological base.
My question is: why do they both have the name "artichoke", when they
seem to have nothing in common?
--
Chris