Old 20-10-2002, 01:52 AM
Tumbleweed

Default Ivy covered tree

"Carol Russell" wrote in message
I have a tree badly covered with ivy. Is the correct procedure to sever

the
ivy, pull it off the tree and then dig out the ivy roots.

You might find it easier to do just the first two, and then just cut off new
growth as it reoccurs. Ivy can be v difficult to dig out and you may well
damage the tree roots. I killed some ivy this year(at the base of a brick
wall) by doing this after I found it too difficult to get all the roots out
and its worked, I didnt get much regrowth and removing that seems to have
done the trick. I am still working on some other ivy that was covering an
area about 1m by 2m, after cutting it to ground level I have covered it with
black polythene (Its in an unconspicuous area of my garden!) and am waiting
until spring before trying to get the roots out.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)