Old 08-06-2005, 10:49 AM
Praeclarissimus Camuloduni

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 22:33:20 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

Praeclarissimus Camuloduni wrote:

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 12:49:43 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

Camulodonums finest wrote:

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 18:17:35 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message m

from AndWhyNot contains these words:

Franz may well be correct ........... I would be the first to reject
such 'Biotron' claims .......... but my friend is moderately disabled
and would tend to accept such things as genuine ... despite my
personal 'reservations' and recommendations to the contarary. The
psychological effects on my friend of course may be very different
which is the main thing.

I can't fault Franz's assessment.

Neither can I. But the placebo effect can be very powerful.

There are endless scams using long words and flash claims to sucker the
naive into paying over the odds for quack medicine and treatments.

only thing is this 'bioptron' is being used in most hospitals in the
UK That's some 'con trick' don't you think?

If it is then NICE should be looking into it. It is amazing what scams
you can run - "polarised polychromatic artificial light" therapy indeed.

The null hypothesis is that a cheap boring warm spot lamp would work
just as well but without putting money into the Biotron coffers.

I can't find anything much about it in reputable publications only on
quack medicine sites on the web. Why am I not surprised...

Still the brand name sounds reassuringly medical so that's all right.
And as long as it is only used to cheat the worried well out of their
hard earned cash it is fairly harmless. It gets really serious when
people refuse effective medication and rely on bogus quackery...

Regards,
Martin Brown

I would have a word with your GP about it. They will have heard of it
- rather like the Tens machine it crosses the two poles of
conventional and alternative. Also check out the Tissue repair unit at
Guys they have collected data on the efficacy of this instrument.

I would be more inclined to talk to trading standards.

Regards,
Martin Brown

certified under the International Quality Standard ISO 9001:2000 and
ISO 13485. fulfils all regulations under the medical directive
93/42/EEC of the European Community.