Old 20-10-2002, 04:31 PM
Simon Avery

Default Planting near septic tank soakaway

"John Towill" wrote:

Hello John

JT I've asked this question on uk.diy as well, as I'm not
JT certain of the best venue. My septic tank soakaway runs
JT diagonally across my garden, will it adversely affect its
JT function if I plant trees/shrubs near or over? I suspect
JT that the roots, seeking out water, will penetrate it, but
JT bearing in mind that they will utilise a lot of the water
JT would it do any harm? TIA John T

Generally a bad idea, and if you've ever had to unblock a drainfield
you'll know why. It's a horrible and potentially very expensive job.
The roots will get into the pipes via leaks (which is what a
drainfield is, a big leaky pipe system), expand and clog everything
up.

Grass is about as deep-rooted as I want near my drainfield.