Old 20-10-2002, 07:08 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Muntjack Deer

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002 15:12:11 +0100, "Dennis Simpson"
wrote:

Muntjack deer have a habit of wandering around our group of six retirement
bungalows and munching flowers in pots, particularly Pansies. Anybody know
of any easy "buzz-off" ideas?

A large dog off the leash and/or a shotgun discharged with
freedom and elan. Combine bans on hunting with effective dog
leash laws, and the deer run riot; at least, that's what's
happened *here*.

Gardeners on Vancouver Island, including many in surprisingly
densely built-up areas, are constantly trying to find ways of
thwarting deer -- and have been doing so for many, many years.
The problem of preventing deer damage is well-studied. One
solution is the erection of a deer fence -- a strong, tall
chainlink affair with special features to discourage both
leapings over and squirmings under. And even such a fence is of
no use if you leave the gate open!

Other methods include:

1. Planting only "deer-proof" plants.
2. Hanging tufts of human hair from fences, trees, and shrubs.
3. Hanging bars of "Zest" bathsoap about.
4. Sprinkling bloodmeal hither and thither.
5. Sprinkling fence posts and such with human urine.

I cannot vouch for the effectiveness of any of these. YMMV.

Your best bet may be to spring out of a shrub, slaughter Bambi
with a sharp knife, and have venison pie as a regular item in
your diet.

Good luck.

--
Rodger Whitlock