Old 08-06-2005, 04:27 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Anthony Ward contains these words:

I have created my first lawn and decided to do it from seed. I made
what I hoped would be a good bed from the existing soil, horse manure
and bagged up topsoil and created a smooth level surface. The seed has
grown quite well and the desied effect is gradually taking shape. The
only trouble is that a fox keeps coming and digging holes in it. I
thought he would be put off when the grass thickened up a bit but no.
He is sometimes bringing food to bury. I have heard of various
suggestions for deterring cats but what about foxes?
Also I have been surprised by how much damage a blackbird can do just
by pecking for worms along the edges where the grass isn't so thick. I
blamed the fox for this when I saw the disturbed soil until I saw the
balckbird doing it.
I expect you have guessed I am one of those 'pristine lawn' types!

Find someone with a ferret and acquire the litter when it/they is/are
cleaned out.

Put some of it in a large bucket and top-up with water. Leave for twelve
hours. Dry the rest for future use. (Seal in a polythene bag - but make
sure it is really dry!)

Strain your ferret juice into a watering can and water the lawn with it.
Continue the treatment until the lawn is established, or the fox doesn't
return.

This method also works for rats, mice and moles.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/