Old 08-06-2005, 05:41 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

I *WILL* get round to sending you all those seeds - remind me if you
haven't got them in a week.

No problem, whenever you like.

I've got some nice little cotoneasters (horizontalis, and a larger
upright variety) in small pots (lids), a couple of Turkey oaks, some of
I know not what variety, with leaves halfway between clematis and ash
(not a native tree, I collected the seeds in Norwich. Parent *VERY*
tall.) and some Japanese quince.

I know poor old Norwich gets a bad call but calling it not native is
being a little unfair. G
Coteneasters make very interesting subjects if you can balance their
normal growth trait. Turkey Oaks sound another interesting one, albeit
going to be into my retirement before they get really good (why do oaks
grow so slowly?). I have our native oak and it does`nt look any bigger
now than it did 5 years ago!!!

The elder I mentioned last year is doing well - while not exactly
traditional - it is in a proper tray, but the soil is humped, and the
roots cascade round a stone in the middle. The non-traditional bit is
that the soil is covered in moss and lichen.

And why would you call it non-traditional? The essence of Bonsai is to
make it look like a tree in nature but in miniture. Do NOT get caught up
in getting rid of the lichen and moss. Imagine it is a solitary tree at
the top of a field with a gently undulating rise to it and surrounded by
a grass carpet. If you can see
the tree in your minds eye like this your on your way to the reality of
Bonsai.
I like the sound of the cascadeing roots.

The advantage is that you can have a pretty fair-looking bonsai tree in
two years, while your more usual varieties are lagging well behind.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Get that little electric box of tricks up and running and let us see the
elder. I`m full of curiosity.

Chris