Old 08-06-2005, 10:30 PM
J Jackson

Tricia Weston wrote:
: In article jj3ea19gtqlnn6p48apihmrir4n21p1cgg@
: 4ax.com, says...
:
: average sized from a garden centre. I'll wait a little longer but
: once the plant is turning yellow are they likely to grow more?
:
: Sorry, no solutions, but I would like to add to the
: discussion on garlic which doesn't seem to be producing
: cloves. Usually I have autumn planted supermarket
: garlic cloves and harvested a small crop in summer.
: Last autumn I invested in cloves from a garden centre,
: Dobbies I think, with a label which described them as
: strong flavoured and a name like Crisp. The plants
: look very healthy with a tall thick stem, but when
: harvested just have a single bulb - in fact they look
: more like leeks than garlic. Could it be weather
: conditions here don't suit this particular type??

Have you cut one open?
I've harvested a garlic plant today - needed for some cooking.
It looks like one bulb with several thin "onion" skins round the whole
bulb but underneath are the seperate bulbs. It's just too early to harvest
they have another 6 weeks of growing in lots of light and warmer weather -
they'll but loads on yet.

Jim