Old 20-10-2002, 08:55 PM
ned

Default First Winter For Pond

"Mark Kelly" wrote in message

I know this will have been covered before but...

My 3 foot deep, 6000 litre pond is about to start it's first winter.

My water temperature is 5 Celsius and the fish have started to slow
down.

When should I turn off my pump/UV and what else should I be thinking
about.

Slippers.

My pump runs 24/365 providing oxygenation year round. Although I do not use
a UV filter, I guess that could be switched off as algae growth will be at a
minimum. As plant surface cover will be dying back you could consider
providing floating mats or submerged 6" drainage pipes to provide 'natural'
hiding place cover for the fish. Reduce feeding from daily to weekly to nowt
when frost and ice is on the pond.

................. And enjoy your central heating. :-)

--
ned