Old 09-06-2005, 12:56 AM
Mike Lyle

J Jackson wrote:
Tricia Weston wrote:
In article jj3ea19gtqlnn6p48apihmrir4n21p1cgg@
4ax.com, says...

average sized from a garden centre. I'll wait a little longer but
once the plant is turning yellow are they likely to grow more?

Sorry, no solutions, but I would like to add to the
discussion on garlic which doesn't seem to be producing
cloves. Usually I have autumn planted supermarket
garlic cloves and harvested a small crop in summer.
Last autumn I invested in cloves from a garden centre,
Dobbies I think, with a label which described them as
strong flavoured and a name like Crisp. The plants
look very healthy with a tall thick stem, but when
harvested just have a single bulb - in fact they look
more like leeks than garlic. Could it be weather
conditions here don't suit this particular type??

Have you cut one open?
I've harvested a garlic plant today - needed for some cooking.
It looks like one bulb with several thin "onion" skins round the

whole
bulb but underneath are the seperate bulbs. It's just too early to
harvest they have another 6 weeks of growing in lots of light and
warmer weather - they'll but loads on yet.

The UK is at the northern limit of the range for garlic, and it won't
always work even if given the longest possible growing season and
very fertile conditions. Some people and some varieties do better
than others: only experiment will tell whether you're one of the
champs. I'm also a little suspicious of some of the varieties they
sell in the GCs: it's absolutely got to be a variety developed for
this climate. There's no shame in deciding to give up and rely on the
greengrocer's imported produce. If the leaves are going yellow, the
bulbs won't -- because they just can't -- develop much further. This
may be because you didn't provide a steady supply of food, moisture,
and sun; but it may be just that the variety was all wrong. Either
way, they don't tend to go on much past midsummer anyhow.

--
Mike.