Old 09-06-2005, 04:39 AM
Justin Boucher

Excellent point. This is Marine to Freshwater converstion since the tank
was designed with a marine system in mind. I am using 1" ID rigid PVC with
only 2 elbows. I already have the standpipes drilled and one of them is
set-up as a backup stand pipe (to help prevent tank overflow)

As for the Mag, references I got from the marine group support the Mag
pumps. They do have a special mentioning for head pressure however (which I
have figured in my calculations).

It seems that I'm stuck with at least a little air turbulence since this
system was originally designed for a Marine system.

Thank you,
Justin

"jet" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thinking about it I see why it would not work. 1100 gph is a lot to get
through stand pipes. I assume the tank is drilled with 3/4" ID
bulkheads. Reducing the flow would help some but it is hard on the pump
and if I recall the Mag doesn't handle high head pressure very well. It
may be the best you can do it minimize the turbulence and air contant
(no right angles, foam instead of bio-balls, stand pipe with 3/8" holes
drilled up the side, etc.).

This is the problem with sump systems. They were designed with marine
systems in mind where maximizing the O2 is desired and they did not
have to figure out how to move the water around without removing the
CO2.