Old 09-06-2005, 03:34 AM
Doug Kanter

"Mark Anderson" wrote in message
.net...
In article says...
Just out of curiosity, how big are the containers? I am interested in
growing some tomatoes in containers...how big do the containers need to
be to get a big healthy plant?

Two years ago, I grew them in 20" cedar planters which were about 16"
deep and they grew big. I had some soil problems and lighting problems
that caused the tomatoes to ripen funny. I now have them in 20 gallon
tubs with drainage holes drilled into the bottom which are about the same
size as the cedar planters. I put them in a spot that gets sunrise to
sunset sun so I'm hoping for the best. The planters dry out fast so they
need to be watered every day.

A thick layer of mulch helps with that. Grass clippings (assuming you don't
use herbicides or pesticides), cedar or hardwood mulch - whatever you've
got.