Old 09-06-2005, 03:30 AM
Bill Stock

"Koitoy" wrote in message

Bill,

Algae won't kill or harm your fish the way overfeeding or poor water
quality will. Please resist the urge to add more nutrients in to your
pond to bolster your plants. Your water quality is good- so don't let
that become a problem. String algae usually grows best in clear water
because it doesn't have to compete for nutrients with the one celled
free floating algae.

No green soup for three years. I've got a UV on the "Bio-Filter".

I can understand your reluctance to mess with the Nitrates, but the WH did
not do well last year with the low (zero) Nitrates. Although the cooler
weather might have been a factor.

I suggest adding water celery, frog bit, or water lettuce. You need
more shade in your pond. What type of bio-filter system do you have?
I am curious because other posters recommend adding more bacteria to
the pond. The bacteria needs to be added only once a year or not at
all. It will colonize on your bio media, rocks, your planting
containers. It will not colonize on your filter mats for very long-
you either clean your mats and wash the bacteria away (even with back
flushing) or you leave them dirty and they clog or become overwhelmed
with anaerobic bacteria.

Right now I have a Bio-Force 500, which clogs at least twice a week. I have
a flowerpot skippy filter in the works, when I can find time to build it.

String algae is also a passive filter. Try taking a rough stick (some
people use a toilet wand) and twirl ithe string algae like cotton
candy. There goes the string algae (and maybe some snails,and lots of
little debris).

I've seen the toilet brush idea. That should give the neighbours a chuckle.
I just swirl my hand around now, which is fairly effective.

--
Koitoy