Old 09-06-2005, 06:46 AM
Kay

In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:

I like the sound of the cascadeing roots.

It's a standard bonsai ploy (which I'm sure you know) - when the tree is
dormant, wash off the soil, snip a tap-root, if present, or divert it,
prune the roots if necessary, then arrange the tree roots over a
projecting stone, so that only the ends of the roots are in the soil.

I've got the same effect by each year putting another inch of soil in
the bottom of the pot and gradually removing the soil at the top until I
can slip in a stone. Same thing, really - I'm just making sure there's
long enough 'ends' in the soil in advance. Dunno if it's an approved
method, but it works.

I've also got a berberis which isn't particularly pleasing in shape but
makes up for it with flowers, berries and leaf colour.

This year I've grown a pomegranate from seed - I've seen a bonsai'd one
complete with tiny fruit, so that is something to look forward to.
--
Kay