Old 09-06-2005, 06:56 AM
Kay

In article , Peter
Stockdale writes

"Bill Falconer" wrote in message
This year I have grown my peas in compost individually in the cardboard
cores of toilet rolls, a tip from a TV programme. They are now being
climatised but have lost their healthy green colour turning very pale.

It's been a bit cold recently, and your peas have been used to the warm.
They'll recover.

But peas don't need to be grown indoors - they're quite hardy. Only
reason for doing this would be if you were having slug trouble when they
were little. The toilet roll core tip is usually meant for runner and
french beans, which are not hardy.

Help please as it is now time for planting out.

In gardening, never pay attention to 'time to do this or that' if it is
expressed as a time, eg 'mid June'. Time to do anything depends on the
conditions in your own garden. 'After all danger of frost has passed' is
June in my garden and probably January 1st in Dave Poole's!

Peas - sweet or edible do not benefit from being transplanted, potted on,
etc.
They will thrive if planted in their final positions at the outset -
assuming the conditions are right.
Toilet roll cores - useful on the compost heap perhaps !!
I would chuck the whole lot on the compost and start again.

That's unnecessarily pessimistic!

Weather seems to be set fairly warm for the next week - plant them out
now, and they'll be fine.
--
Kay