Old 09-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Ornata

Hmm. I grew tomatoes for the first time last year (admittedly not the
best of summers). They had to be in grow-bags positioned at the front
of the house because the back garden didn't get enough sun. I was
disappointed to find that the tomatoes my plants yielded were fairly
tasteless. I suppose it's partly the variety (these were "Red Alert")
and maybe also a lack of enough decent sunlight, but presumably the
soil (or compost) they are grown in will also affect flavour? This
year we've had a couple of sycamores cut down in the back garden, so
I'm trying three plants in the veg plot there, along with one in the
greenhouse and three more in grow-bags in the hotter, sunnier front
area (all are 'Gardener's Delight').