Old 09-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Stephen Howard

On 9 Jun 2005 03:38:25 -0700, "Ornata"
wrote:

Hmm. I grew tomatoes for the first time last year (admittedly not the
best of summers). They had to be in grow-bags positioned at the front
of the house because the back garden didn't get enough sun. I was
disappointed to find that the tomatoes my plants yielded were fairly
tasteless. I suppose it's partly the variety (these were "Red Alert")
and maybe also a lack of enough decent sunlight, but presumably the
soil (or compost) they are grown in will also affect flavour? This
year we've had a couple of sycamores cut down in the back garden, so
I'm trying three plants in the veg plot there, along with one in the
greenhouse and three more in grow-bags in the hotter, sunnier front
area (all are 'Gardener's Delight').

I've found Red Alert to be rather variable when it comes to flavour.
Some years it's been find, others quite bland - even with access to
plenty of sunlight.
I don't know what the trick is to get it to perform consistently, so
I've given up!

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk