Old 09-06-2005, 06:24 PM
Elaine T

So what is the consensus?

Use a DYi co2 system or excel?

Thanks

I've done both. DIY is cheap, a bit of work, but gives real CO2 with
the pH lowering benefits, fast plant growth, and low algae. You have to
keep KH under control for it to work well, and it takes some fiddling
with the yeast/water mixture. I used to hook gallon jars of honey mead
up to my 29 gallon tank because you gat a much longer, slower
fermentation from honey than from sugar. Plus you get something good at
the end. ;-)

Excel is very easy, costs more, and doesn't give quite as much growth as
CO2. It works no matter what the KH is and doesn't give any risk of
lowering pH too far.

My tanks are small - 2, 10, and 15 gallons - so DIY CO2 would be hard to
control and Excel isn't too expensive on that scale. Excel has provided
a great alternative and I have the lushest 2 gallon tank I've ever
managed by using it.

If I had 30 gallons or more, I'd go to DIY C02.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__