Old 09-06-2005, 08:58 PM

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message .com,
writes
Hi,

We have a mystery tree growing in our garden in Scotland. It started
as a twig with some other plants, but has grown to be about 10ft tall
now, but we've never been able to identify it.

Looks like some type of Whitebeam (same genus as the rowans). Skimming
Mitchell (Field Guide to the Trees of Britain and Northern Europe) the
Swedish Whitebeam, Sorbus intermedia, seems a fair match for the shape
of the leaves. (There's lots of species of Whitebeams, Rowans and
Service Trees, but none of the other commonly planted species have
leaves like this.)

Thanks very much Stewart - that is most helpful. I looked up a few
pages on the net about Whitebeam after I got your message, and the one
you mentioned certainly seems to be a good match. There even seem to
be some varieties of Whitebeam specific to Scotland (however no
pictures of them that I could find). Thanks again for helping out with
this!

Colin.