Old 20-10-2002, 11:03 PM
cormaic

Default Lawn rejuvenation.

'Twas Sun, 20 Oct 2002 15:58:08 +0100, when "Peter Lewis"
enriched all our lives with these
worthy thoughts:

Ok. The lawn is in such a sorry state right now I'm at a bit of a loss.
The grass hasn't been cut for probably a couple of years and is pretty
sparse so that the soil is clearly visible. The grass that is left is
pretty long but flattened so mowing would be difficult. The soil is ok
(not clay or too rocky) as far as I can tell. There are quite a few pretty
tough clumps of grass dotted about and the area is fairly well drained (I
haven't seen it get waterlogged ever). The edges where it meets the border
have also become lost as the grass peters out.

Sounds like a candidate for starting again, depending on the
quality of lawn you're after. It can take a couple of years to get a
crappy lawn knocked into shape, whereas you can seed or turf a good
lawn in 3 months, come next spring.
If I were starting over, I'd scythe it now and turn it over or
rotavate to let the weather work on it over the winter, then start
preparing a tilth next Feb/Mar for seeding or turfing in late March.

--
cormaic URG faqs/webring - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/
Culcheth Garden - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/garden/

cormaic CAN BE FOUND AT borlochshall.co.uk