Old 09-06-2005, 07:36 PM
Galen Hekhuis

On 8 Jun 2005 19:54:23 -0700, "mos" wrote:

I wasn't allergic to it either, until about 2 years ago.....and then it
brushed against my arm as I pulled it out with gloved hands. I had it
over my entire upper body by the time it was done with me. It took two
courses of steroids and lost time working in a neonatal ICU because it
was just a mess...so I have a healthy respect for it. It might not
bother you this year...but it might be havoc for a visitor. Now I get
the brush killer stuff right up close to it, with a paper plate cut, so
it forms a collar and I just spray that plant. Then after it is dead,
I use a plastic bag, grab it from the inside out and tie it up. Works
like a charm. It comes up right by my pond also. I'd get rid of
it....like I said, never was allergic, even walked through it....but
then one fine day, years later........"Leaves of three...let it be"
Maureen

A similar thing happened to my grandfather. He was leading his troops
(National Guard) and when they picked a place to camp, he said not to worry
about the poison ivy, he wasn't allergic and that he would pull it out. To
make a long story shorter, he found out then that he was no longer immune,
and even spent time in the infirmary to emphasize it. If it was only me,
I'd be content to just let it be, but I'm not the only one likely to come
in contact with it. Besides, there isn't a whole lot of it, only four
patches on the whole property, so I think I have a chance to "eradicate"
it. I know you can't really eradicate it, as it can easily be reseeded by
birds and stuff. We have fire ants here in the southeast too, and while
you can't really "eradicate" them, you can they can be kept to a minimum.
I sure don't want to do anything to encourage it, however.

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
Illiterate? Write for FREE help