Old 10-06-2005, 02:12 AM
Koi-minator

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
news
"Koi-minator" invalid@invalid wrote:

Roundup does work on poison ivy. I have been using it for many years.
You need to use a strong mixture and add a spreader/sticker and may

need
to reapply. Roundup works best on mature plants that are sending sap

the roots, since it works by killing the roots. On very tall vines of
poison ivy, cut the ivy off about chest high and spray the lower part.
Poison ivy spreads by the rhizomatous roots and the seeds which birds
spread in their guano.

## And that's how we believe it keeps showing up on our property.

:-( We
used RoundUp at 6 oz. per gallon and had about a 50% killrate for poison

ivy
in the past.

I use Roundup at a rate of 4 oz per gallon and get 99% kill rate. I am
spraying new seedlings that have small roots. If you are spraying a
field with established rhizomes, then you will need to keep at it since
the rhizomes can extend many feet under ground. Unless you spray every
green leaf that comes out of the rhizome (which may extend over acres),
you won't effect a kill. If you cut a trench round the kill area about
a food deep, it will sever the rhizome around your kill area so you can
get a complete kill. If you plow a field of rhizomes, every piece will
form a new plant.

$$ Thanks Stephen. No acres of the ivy. It's just a few large plants that
came up around the ponds rock necklace. I sprayed them again today (last of
the Round-Up) and made sure to cover all the leaves that I could see.
They're still a bit yellow from the last spraying. I'm so deadly allergic
to them I find it difficult to get to all the leaves since they are tangled
with the net in places, the English ivy, daylillies, hostas and the other
plants around the pond's berm. I will get the rash right through a long
sleeve shirt and sometimes jeans. :-(

In large areas, mowing repeatedly may drain the rhizomes enough so that
spraying will be more effective or not even necessary.

$$ When we redo the collapsing berm/sides my husband will grub it out by the
roots if possible, and we'll spray, spray, spray since the fish will be in a
1,500 gallon holding pool behind the house - far from the spray. I also
plan to use that landscape cloth to help hold down unwanted plants including
the poison ivy. I should never have taken the advice to make the sides
almost straight as now we have a problem with them collapsing or bellying
in.

--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.