Old 09-06-2005, 03:57 PM
MM

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 11:26:35 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 10:24:29 +0100, MM wrote:

Been away for a few days and the lawn is now covered in long-ish
grasses! When I go over with the hand mower, these foot-long blades of
grass are simply pushed flat, then spring up again after an hour or
so.

I'm thinking of buying a rechargeable (thus cordless) hedgetrimmer and
use it like an Allen scythe to cut these long grasses down to size.

Any other ideas? I could get down on my hands and knees with the
shears, but it would take two days to cover the whole lawn like that.

Borrow a sheep or a hovermower. Both worked for us at various times.

I think a power mower may be too violent for my almost virgin lawn! I
don't want to risk ripping the grass (the short stuff in between the
long grasses) out by the roots. The cutting action of a hedgetrimmer
would be much more gentle, I think.

Of course, a sheep might work, too, but I don't know of any around
here. Lots of daffodils waiting to be ploughed in, but no sheep.

MM