Old 09-06-2005, 07:53 PM
Sarah Dale

Mike Lyle wrote:
The UK is at the northern limit of the range for garlic, and it won't
always work even if given the longest possible growing season and
very fertile conditions. Some people and some varieties do better
than others: only experiment will tell whether you're one of the
champs. I'm also a little suspicious of some of the varieties they
sell in the GCs: it's absolutely got to be a variety developed for
this climate. There's no shame in deciding to give up and rely on the

Personally speaking, in the 3 or 4 years I have been growing garlic here
in extreme NW wales, I have found it to be an easy, very rewarding crop.

To date I have purchased my garlic bulbs for planting from Marshalls,
split them into cloves and planted them in the Autumn - Oct / Nov. I
then generally ignore them except for the odd weeding session or
occasional water, and removal of any seed head. Harvest in Jul / August
for enough garlic to keep the average family for a year.

Sarah