Old 09-06-2005, 08:40 PM
sam

scott wrote:
I have had my sweet peas out since easter - they re in flower now and look
lovely!

Scott - Gatwick

"Sarah Dale" wrote in message

Bill Falconer wrote:

This year I have grown my peas in compost individually in the cardboard
cores of toilet rolls, a tip from a TV programme. They are now being
climatised but have lost their healthy green colour turning very pale.
Help please as it is now time for planting out.

A very traditional method of growing sweet peas. what they are telling you
is that they have run out of grub and want planting.

Give them a good soak in water and then plant out. I'd leave the ubes in
place, but you could *carefully* slit them in a couple of places before
planting to give the roots an easy way out.

Water well and watch out for slugs & snails. Enjoy the flowers.

HTH

Sarah

Alas,cardboard is made from wood,which depletes the soil of nitrogen.I
was similarly caught out last year using "peat" pots, only to learn
later that they are now 80% wood chippings.