Old 10-06-2005, 04:19 AM
JoeT

"bb2004" wrote in message

"Lukas Louw" wrote in message
Our dog urinates all over the lawn, as dogs are wont to do, and we have
all these little infertile spots on the lawn that take ages to recover.
Does anyone know if there are any easy solutions to this? It can be an
eyesore.

Getting rid of the dog is not an option

Thanks,
Lukas

I read or heard once, a while back, that giving the pooch some tomatoe
juice once in a while should do the trick. Something about the acidity
change between the two liquids. (Juice & pee)

Also, I have heard this only applies to male dogs...Apparently female dog
pee doesn't cause this?? Not sure about that though...

The tomato juice thing comes from a mistaken belief that PH imbalance is the
cause for the grass going south. It's actually caused by over fertilization
due to nitrogen in the dog urine. (It has the same effect that placing a
handful of weed and feed in a nice pile and leaving it there would or as
many of us have experienced, parking the spreader while it's stuck still
open!) Giving tomato juice to a dog (assuming they'd drink it) could cause
a number of health issues for the animal and would have no effect on the
problem at hand. As for females not causing it that's actually a bit
backward, both can cause the grass to die due to over fertilization but
females tend to create more of a problem because they squat and focus the
stream into a very small area as compared to most males who spread it over a
much larger (hence more dilluted) area of the grass and in fact usually
hitting mostly upright structures. lol So spots urinated upon by females are
far easier to see in the lawn as a rule than those aimed at (I use the term
loosely lol) by males.

This is all covered very well in the article at this link:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardand...N-Nov0199.html