Old 10-06-2005, 03:33 AM
Gale Pearce

Any one ever feed their koi trout food? I have noticed several people
have stated they feed catfish food to their koi with no adverse
affects. My next door neighbor just bought a 50 lb bag of trout pellets
for about $25.00. He is interested in trying it out because the the
high protein content (apparently it is around 40%)
Thanks for the feedback.
W. Dale

Yup - did that 12 yrs ago for 2 yrs - My koi grew like crazy - from 2" to
12" in that time - then one went blind and the other died the next year. I
was referred to a koi farm in Canada to ask why and after explaining to
owner there what happened, he asked me what I was feeding them - when I told
him I was using "Trout Chow" (Purina), he said that was the problem - trout
chow is formulated for the trout farms to grow the fish as fast as possible
and get them to market (typically 13 months) and the high fat and protein
content ruins their vital organs (doesn't matter for the fish for market at
13 months old), but if you are raising pets it does - he told me to look at
it this way - "feeding them that is like you eating Big Macs at McDonalds 3
meals a day 7 days a week - how healthy would you be?"
That being said, you will read here how a lot of people use trout food and
whatever else is cheap (dog, cat, catfish food) so this is a decision you
will have to make and especially if you have expensive koi ..............
Just my experience & opinion Gale :~)