Old 10-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Chris Cox" writes:

| I have a mature hibiscus (syriacus I think) which is giving me trouble, and
| I'd appreciate some advice.
|
| Some of the branches are coming into leaf later and later every year, and
| are getting covered in what might be lichen. The problem is spreading and
| now affects most of the plant, and I want to take some action to save the
| rest of it.
|
| I live in Cambridge, the plant's in full sun, but the soil is low-lying and
| rather heavy, and sometimes gets waterlogged in winter. I've read that
| hibiscuses don't like that, and wonder if it might be causing the problem.
| Alternatively, could it just be poor watering? poor feeding? or simply old
| age?

Firstly, ignore the lichen. It is completely harmless, and merely
indicates that the shrub isn't shedding bark.

Secondly, the problem is primarily the weather. Despite the fact
that we have been having very warm winters recently, we have also
been having very cold springs. That shrub comes from relatively
hotter and drier conditions (as its name suggests) and won't put
out leaves until the weather warms up. If you think that it has
problems, think of my poor Erythrina crista-galli, which has only
just got a 2" shoot :-(

The waterlogging may kill it, but there is little you can do about
that. I had a couple that were killed by something a decade or so
back, and you just have to replant with something else.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.