Old 10-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Mike Lyle" writes:
| Nick Maclaren wrote:
| In article ,
| "Jeremy Goff" writes:
|
| I am now looking for a Bosch AXT 2000HP Silent Garden Shredder -
| seems to be the best available, but what's it really like for
| soft
| material, e.g. weeds, daffodil leaves, etc? These normally are
| pretty wet when shredded, does this cause blockage?
|
| Er, why do you want to shred those?
|
| Because some Del-Boy who wants to make money told him you have to
| shred stuff before you compost it. ...

That could well be so.

| Woody material is
| poor, bad, lousy, crappy, positively *useless* in a compost heap. You
| want GREEN stuff, not cellulose. ...

Now, there I disagree. It takes longer to rot down, and is broken
down by fungi rather than bacteria, but ends up making useful fibre.
It also helps with keeping the heap from compacting if you put a
lot of soggy stuff on.

I don't bother to shred it, so it takes a year or two to break down,
but that isn't a problem. If I can find a suitable quiet shredder,
cheap, I may start shredding it for extra speed - but it really
isn't necessary.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.