Old 10-06-2005, 06:12 PM
Katra

In article ,
"Pavel314" wrote:

wrote in message
Watched a garden show on TV and they were growing mushrooms in the
kitchen. Said something about a mushroom kits you can order online.
Has anyone ever grown your own mushrooms in the kitchen with a kit?
Any inexpensive web sites that sell these kits?

I've bought several of them over the years and have always gotten good
results. We grow ours in the basement. I generally buy from one of the big
seed catalog companies but you can find lots of hits if you Google on
"mushroom kit". Here's the URL for Park Seed's website; they have a search
window, type in "mushroom".

http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/s...splay?catalogI
d=10066&storeId=10101&langId=-1&mainPage=page1

I've tried a couple times to use the basic kit to expand to boxes of
composted horse manure in the basement but they never grew there. Has anyone
had experience in growing non-kit mushrooms?

Paul

That will only work if you sterilize that substrate first.
Pressure cooking it for 20 minutes will work.

Bag it first, sterlize it in the bag, then transplant some of the
mycelial clumps to the new substrate. If your mushrooms eat horse
manure, that should work.

I've only messed around with oyster mushrooms and they are wood
consumers.

One of the best places for edible mushroom kits is he

http://fungi.com/
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain