Old 10-06-2005, 07:16 PM

On 2005-06-10, tomatolord wrote:
I would also not water every day. Most plants need only to be watered once
a week.

Which is why you have the furrows so the plant does NOT sit in water but
grows root down

Nursery containers are supposed to be watered everyday - they dry out very
fast.

good luck!

I agree. Watering everyday is probably preventing the plants roots from
growing and may even be destroying roots.

You need 1 to 1.5 inches of rain per week. Which is roughly .75 - 1
gallon of water per square foot. For tomatoes planted six feet apart I
would not figure 36 sqft but more like 9 sqft so one tomato plant if it
did not rain would need 5-10 gallons of water per week. If it rained
half an inch then only water half that amount.

Last year we had a dwarf alberta spruce in a large pot. I did not
notice the drain hole had plugged and it sat in water for about a week.
The result was a dead spruce. Only things like cypress and rice can
stand in that much water and survive.

"Mister Sensitive" wrote in message
nk.net...
We built raised beds for veggies this year. First try with raised beds. We
got soil from B&B topsoil mine, with which we've had great success in the
past. We tilled the soil into furrows and planted veggies along the furrow
ridge. I water every day it doesn't rain, but the plants are growing very
slowly, if at all. We left a couple of plants in the valleys in their
nursery containers, to backfill failing plants. The valley plants are
growing much better. I also noticed after prodigious watering that the
soil
is pretty dry just under the surface if I scratch the wet soil. The only
time the plants seem to grow is after these recent long drenching rains.

Have we created too much drainage for water and are depriving our plants
of
water?

Thanks,

Hungry in Hillsborough