Old 10-06-2005, 11:13 PM
Bob Hobden

"Nick Maclaren" wrote after
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

Hibiscus syriacus is a misnomer; the wild range of the species is Korea
(where it's the national flower) and northern China. But it's
naturalised in quite a few warmer places. It comes from a more
continental climate, and according to the literature, requires the aid
of a wall to encourage flowering in the cooler-summered parts of the
British Isles. As it's very late into leaf I assume that it doesn't mind
cold springs.

Dammit - I shouldn't have assumed that "syriacus" meant "well, I first
saw it it growing from some miscellaneous seeds sent from a collector
who had been visiting Syria". Stupid of me :-)

At least it is better than Bermuda buttercup.

It doesn't. It grew successfully here for many years (and other
people grow it), until it succumbed to a fungus or similar. But it
really can't be bothered to wake up until the weather warms up, which
it hasn't done for more than the odd day this year.

All 3 of mine are just about in full leaf now, and nice and dark green they
are too.

Changing the subject slightly did anyone else see the Hibiscus that they had
at RBG Kew last summer next to the Princess of Wales glasshouse. Huge dinner
plate flowers, the biggest Hibiscus flowers I've ever see and I've been to
many tropical places. Now last time I visited, about 3 months ago, I noticed
they haven't dug up the roots just pruned them down to ground level as if
they expect them to shoot again. Anyone know if they will/have and what
species or hybrid these plants were?
I might just be able to find space for one or two. :-)

--
Regards
Bob