Old 11-06-2005, 01:59 PM
Pavel314

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"Pavel314" wrote:

I've tried a couple times to use the basic kit to expand to boxes of
composted horse manure in the basement but they never grew there. Has
anyone
had experience in growing non-kit mushrooms?

Paul

That will only work if you sterilize that substrate first.
Pressure cooking it for 20 minutes will work.

Bag it first, sterlize it in the bag, then transplant some of the
mycelial clumps to the new substrate. If your mushrooms eat horse
manure, that should work.

I've only messed around with oyster mushrooms and they are wood
consumers.

One of the best places for edible mushroom kits is he

http://fungi.com/
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell see, I have friends
in both places." --Mark Twain

Katra,

We have one of those propane turkey cookers which my wife uses for dyeing
wool. I put some water in the bottom, put the composted manure in the
perforated container that sits within the main pot, covered it, and let it
cook and steam for a half hour, to kill any wild fungi that might have been
present.

However, I never thought that mushrooms limited themselves as to their food.
I should have know that, as we have a small stand of Dye Cort mushrooms out
back which only grow under pine trees. The fellow who delivers our hay says
that he takes any hay that gets rained on to the mushroom growers up in
Pennsylvania; guess I should have taken a clue from that.

When you grew oyster mushrooms, did you grow them on fresh sawdust or wood
chips? Do you know of any good websites with instructions for growing
mushroom?

Paul