Old 21-10-2002, 09:03 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Muntjack Deer

In article ,
Rodger Whitlock wrote:

Of course, the ecologically correct solution is the reintroduction
of Eurasian lynx, which is where I came in. But the aforementioned
misbegotten and misgenated will have nothing to do with that ....

Believe it or not, they are actually reintroducing wolves into
parts of North America that have been wolf-less for a century or
more.

Oh, yes, and they have their own problems with idiots, too.

Can I ship you a few cougars as an alternative deer-control
predator? They seem to be having a minor population explosion of
their own, perhaps thanks to the introduction onto Vancouver
Island of rabbits and grey squirrels, both of which provide
medium-small mammalian prey for cougars. ...

As far as I am concerned, the experiment would be well worth while.
However, the aforementioned UK idiots have made it illegal to
introduce predators but not herbivores. Seriously :-( If I thought
that unilateral action might work, I might not be dissuaded, but
it wouldn't.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679