Old 11-06-2005, 07:27 PM
John Bachman

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 07:59:24 -0500, "cat daddy"
wrote:

"John Bachman" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 20:15:57 -0700,
(paghat) wrote:

snip
I think I remember pretty correctly your recurring advocacies of the

right
chemical properly used, though that certainly was not an exact quote as
"farmy smell" was. Maybe you just don't know how your advocacy sounds
sometimes. Very much in keeping with your post in this thread asserting
that following label instructions renders all pesticides totally safe --
that's just untrue. The reality is that "used as directed," pesticides &
herbicides have done great harm to watersheds & lakes & locally to Hood
Canal, it took no off-label use to do great harm. Used strictly as
directed, these chemicals have accumulative effects which label
instructions don't take into consideration, combining effects when other
chemicals are added into the garden mix according to THEIR directions,

all
of which degrades or combines into still other chemicals, many
carcinogenic, none of those assessed before those misleading

instructions
are concocted.

Indeed the labeling is vastly more for legal rather than safety concerns.

While the label provides legal protection to the manufacturer if the
user misapplies the product, that is not a bad thing. The labels also
meet the requirements of the EPA for approval for use.

Not very reassuring, considering the following:

Basic Testing to Identify Chemical Hazards
http://www.scorecard.org/chemical-pr...d=732%2d11%2d6

Chemical: IMIDAN

"This chemical was not included in EPA's survey of basic testing data."

However, the labels also provide detailed instructions for the use of
the product in areas that I mentioned above and also with regard to
application in proximity to waterways, public water supplies and
private wells.

I believe that if the restrictions are followed, the product can be
used safely.

snip

I will stick with Imidan at the rate of 1#/50 gallons applied every 10
- 14 days and follow all of the other label instructions. Then I will
eat my perfect fruits with full confidence that it is safe to do so.

WSU Pesticide Information Center
http://www.tricity.wsu.edu/~cdaniels.../Imidan70W.htm
Fact Sheet for Imidan

"Gowan, the registrant for Imidan, does not have the required toxicity data
to support a general use category in a residential setting for Imidan. EPA
has allowed a residential use for this SLN under the conditions that it be
labeled a restricted use product."

So, neither the EPA nor the manufacturer have complete data.

Not quite correct. There is not enough data to justify "a general use
category in a residential setting." I stated in one of the earlier
postings that Imidan is a restricted use insecticide and that is one,
but only one, of the reasons I obtained my pesticide applicator's
license.

As I stated earlier, a control for plum curculio used to be in general
fruit tree insecticides and fungicides that are available to
unlicensed applicators. However that control was removed from those
products two years ago.

This leaves the homeowner unprotected except, as paghat pointed out,
for products like Surround-WP.

I do not want to deal with the Surround baggage and am licensed so I
will stick with Imidan as an effective, easy to use and safe control
for plum curculio.

John