Old 21-10-2002, 05:45 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

Default Cause of curdless caulies?

The message
from "John Towill" contains these words:

I have some very healthy (and large) cauli plants, however there are no
signs of curds. What is my error, I know it is too late for this season but
what should I do next year? I also have some very healthy purple sprouting
broccoli, but no purple sprouts. Should they have appeared by now? If so
again what is my error?
TIA
John T

Are you sure they're not spring-heading cauliflowers? Some types sit in
the ground for almost a year and then quite rapidly produce large
cauliflowers in about May.
With purple sprouting broccoli, the earliest types produce in the new
year and some types go through to about April. They are basically an
excellent winter/spring vegetable.

Janet G