Old 11-06-2005, 08:49 PM
Lorenzo L. Love

LJ wrote:
I have 4 ft and 4.5 ft and regret it. Wish I would have made them 3 ft as
I'm finding it quite painful to plant in the center.

"Allan Matthews" wrote in message

How wide do you make your raised gardens? I have one that is four
feet wide but am building another..consideering five feet....33% more
space but I have doubts. Thanks for replies.

Last fall I replaced my 44" wide beds that were framed with 2 x 12
lumber with 48" wide beds framed with 8" concrete blocks. So the outside
width is now 64" vs. the old beds which were 48" outside width. The
width of the framing material makes an enormous difference. I could
reach easily with the old ones, but the new thicker walls puts the
center out of reach. Kneeling on the blocks I can get to the middle,
which was the plan, but that's killing my knees. Plan better then I did.
Once you put several tons of soil down, you are not going to want to
move it.

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

“If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”
Cicero