Old 11-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Lynda Thornton

Default Can I prune apple trees now?

Hi

I have read conflicting advice about pruning apple trees, it's a bit of
a minefield! Some say to prune in the winter/dormant months, other
advice is to prune midsummer - which is preferable? I have several
eating apple trees which have been kept small over the years before we
moved here. Last year the trees put on quite a bit of growth and I want
to cut them back to keep them manageable and not to end up with any more
tonnes of wasted apples as we can't possibly eat them all! There are
tiny apples forming now as the blossom has finished - will it harm the
trees to be cut back now and what is the best way of doing it?

Do the same rules apply for bramley trees and victoria plum?

Thanks!
Lynda