Old 11-06-2005, 08:43 PM
VX

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 20:44:38 +0100, Anthony Ward wrote
(in message ):

I have created my first lawn and decided to do it from seed. I made
what I hoped would be a good bed from the existing soil, horse manure
and bagged up topsoil and created a smooth level surface. The seed has
grown quite well and the desied effect is gradually taking shape. The
only trouble is that a fox keeps coming and digging holes in it. I
thought he would be put off when the grass thickened up a bit but no.
He is sometimes bringing food to bury. I have heard of various
suggestions for deterring cats but what about foxes?
Also I have been surprised by how much damage a blackbird can do just
by pecking for worms along the edges where the grass isn't so thick. I
blamed the fox for this when I saw the disturbed soil until I saw the
balckbird doing it.
I expect you have guessed I am one of those 'pristine lawn' types!

Where I am (moved here recenetly) there is a bit of a fox problem and it is
not unusual to see them walking along the street after dark. Apparently they
are a real problem in the back gardens here. But after stepping in what I
thought at the time was cat poo (on a path both times, should have realised)
and seen my garbage bags ripped open, i decided to order some "Animal
Repellent" spray along with my other shopping from Tesco. I have sprayed this
around the fences, gates, paths etc and I squirt any garbage bag before
putting it out. The label explains that the contents somehow confuse
animals' sense of smell. So far (one month on) I have seen no further
evidence of fox activity anywhere that i have sprayed this stuff. The
container is the same size etc as Roundup weedkiller and it costs about three
quid. I've been recommending it to my neighbours as definitely worth a try
but they seem fairly confident that something that simple couldn't work! Its
early days but it may be that it is working....

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)