Old 21-10-2002, 06:37 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default Cause of curdless caulies?

"Chris wrote in message ...
I have some very healthy (and large) cauli plants, however there are no
signs of curds. What is my error, I know it is too late for this season

but
what should I do next year? I also have some very healthy purple

sprouting
broccoli, but no purple sprouts. Should they have appeared by now? If

so
again what is my error?

Sorry, no answers, but I have a similar problem with my Brussels sprouts -
some are _blown_ with sprouts like flowers, and others with no sprouts at
all.

Yes , we have suffered with this problem for the first time this year, our
Trafalgar sprouts have blown badly but the Icarus seem to be mostly OK. We
have put it down to the very dry summer weather this year.

To answer the original post, like others I think you may have planted spring
cropping varieties.
We plant spring cropping caulies because they grow "clean" over the winter
with little insect etc damage and with no need for any sprays etc., at the
moment they are quite large plants but they won't heart up until April (you
can tell when the leaves start to twist round each other).
Same timing with the broccoli, and the Winter Tundra cabbage and Savoys are
only just starting to make hearts now.

--
Bob
http://www.pooleygreengrowers.org.uk/ about an allotment site