Old 12-06-2005, 12:07 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Padger wrote:

Also I would add that any compost heap worthy of the name will have killed
off any disease spores and/or weed seeds. So much rubbish gets talked about
what you can and cannot compost. It is too much for a dissertation here but
there are web sites around which gives good guidance on the subject.

That is a bit simplistic. There are some soil-borne diseases with
resistant spores, and a fair number of weeds with resistant seeds,
but I agree that it is not generally a problem.

However, you should not compost weeds such as nettles, goosefoot,
grasses with ripe seeds, or you may have trouble. But it really is
only the ripe seeds that are a problem.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.