Old 12-06-2005, 12:44 PM
MICHAEL LYONS

"Rev "Fragile Warrior" Volfie" wrote in message

"Ben" wrote in message
oups.com...

I finally found a good reference to the Passion Flower in a herb book last
night (I had no idea that's where I should look for it -- duh!) and it
said it actually grows a fruit. Have you ever tried it? The book said it
was rather tasty.

I've got some bad news for you. Red passionflower sets no fruit. The blue
does, but not the red.
As to growing outside and deadheading, Mine grows on the back fence in
central Florida, and dcadheading would be close to a full-time job. I prune
it to keep it from growing 30 feet up the neighbor's tree.

Also, have you ever tried wintering the vine outside? The book said it
has to be mulched well to survive but, wow, it doesn't seem to me that
such a delicate flowering vine could survive to -20F. You're closer to
where I used to live (Niagara Falls) and I would think it *might* survive
there but here, on a hill in the middle of Indiana, I have my doubts.

Giselle (boy, do I miss Lakes Ontario and Erie to keep me temperate!)