Old 12-06-2005, 03:12 PM
Doug Kanter

"lgb" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Anyone older than 15 who is not aware of the dangers of pesticides should
not be allowed to leave their bedroom. Ever.

I'm aware of the dangers inherent in driving my car or riding my
motorcycle, too. That doesn't stop me from doing so. Nor of having an
almost perfect driving record for 55 years (a couple of speeding
tickets).

Your attitude strikes me as fanatical. There are times when pesticides
are called for. And different compounds used have greatly varying
toxicities.

For example, Sevin, which is quite toxic, is the only thing I've found
that will knock out elm beetle grubs before they deleaf my elm trees. I
wear coveralls and a respirator when I use it, usually once a year.

Malathion, OTOH, is relatively inoucous and I use it to kill thrips and
aphids on my rose bushes and Japanese honeysuckle with short sleeves, no
gloves, and no respirator.

I realize this won't convince you, but I wanted to make others aware
that not all of us are environmental fanatics or, on the other side,
reckless rednecks who spray evrything in sight with the deadliest stuff
we can find. So that's all I'm going to say on the subject.

I'm not a fanatic, and I'm not going to apply any adjectives to YOU. But,
you might ask yourself a question. When you make statements like "relatively
innocuous", what are you basing that on?