Old 21-10-2002, 07:04 PM
Serendipity

Default Tree Ferns hardiness

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 18:43:23 +0100, wrote:

Serendipity wrote:

Just how hardy are Tree Ferns.
I live in SW UK

Depending upon what part of the SW you live, there are several species
of tree fern which should be fine with you. The hardiest is probably
Dicksonia antarctica and unless you live on the top of Bodmin moor
Dartmoor or Exemoor, you should be able o overwinter it totally
unprotected. Dicksonia fibrosa is almost as hardy and a very good bet
for the SouthWest. Cyathea australis rates as tough if not tougher
than D. fibrosa and is a comparatively fast grower with attractive
pale green fronds.

In regions where winter lows drop to minus 5C or more with regularity,
D. antarctica is your best bet. It should survive quite well to minus
5C without protection, but to be safe, lagging the trunk with several,
loose layers of horticultural fleece and stuffing leaves into the
crown will suffice.

If you live in one of the more sheltered or warmer parts of the SW,
you could opt for stunning beauties such as Cyathea dealbata and C.
medullaris. Both do well in the near frost-free conditions of
sheltered south coastal regions and often retain their leaves well.
My favourite is C. dealbata, which does magnificently here in one of
the coldest corners of my garden. Its delicate, apple green leaves
are backed a ghostly bluish white and almost fluoresce if back-lit at
night.

Ideal conditions are light overhead or dappled shade, moist yet well
drained, humus enriched soils and regular additional watering during
hot dry weather. Applying water to the trunk on a daily basis in
summer help create the humidity they crave and ensures regular
'flushes' of new fronds.

All tree ferns relish regular feeding and an application of pelleted
poultry manure around their roots in spring plus another in mid summer
will keep them moving and producing ever larger fronds.

HTH.
David Poole
TORQUAY UK

Thank you Dave, for what is probably the fullest answer I've seen
in a couple of years od enquiring. I have Dicksonian which, when
I first purchased it, was somewhat smaller and considerably slimmer
than any other in the garden centre. The salesman advised me
that I could have a much better specimen for the same price, but
it was such a beautiful shape that I took a chance.

Result was/is a fabulous tree with spectacular fronds, admired
by neighbours and friends, in fact it set something of a standard.'

Once again, thank you David, those other friends who gave
their opinions and advice.

May I be the first to wish you a very Happy Christmas :-)

John