Old 12-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Reel McKoi

"robv60" wrote in message
oups.com...
well, so far the 9 watt unit has been continuously running on the back
pond for 14 hours. Pond is showing signs of clearing. By this time
tomorrow it may poaaibly be clear.

## Another thing to consider is what EXACTLY is floating around in your
pond. As you know the UV lights are useless for particulate matter from
plants and other debris that falls or blows in. A problem we have is when a
koi knocks over a plant and the fine clay soil goes into suspension - what a
mess for awhile. It will even pass through quilt batting. Much ends up in
the 40 gallon settling tank from what I can see.

Obviously I have a bad 18 watt bulb.
Problem is the guy i bought the unit from on ebay was hard enough to
get in touch with as it was just trying to ask him simple questions.

## And this is one of the prime reason I never buy *anything* on Ebay
although I check out the goodies there occasionally. It's like buying a
pig-in-a-poke. You pays your money and you takes your chances..........
and the seller is soon long gone.
I don't purchase plants online (aqua plant sellers) anymore either. Just
try and get a refund or replacement if there's a problem.
Last case was riccia I purchased from one I will leave unnamed. It was
anything BUT riccia. Judging by the pine needles and other debris it
contained it was picked off the forest floor somewhere and sold as riccia.
It was a common rock MOSS they sent - the same type I can find here in any
shady wooded area.

Doubt I'll be able to get a new bulb out of him and probably wouldnt
want to deal with him anyway. I may just have to suck it up and buy one
from someone else.

## Buy LOCALLY if you can. It's the safest way to do business. Frugal as I
am I would rather pay a few bucks more and purchase things locally than try
and save a dollar and buy from total strangers or unknown businesses online.

Just need to find the best price. I did a 10% water
change in the front pond yesterday, may go ahead and do it in the back
as well. Of course I suppose this will cause another bloom?

## It may. If this continues you'll have to find the SOURCE behind these
blooms.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.